- BLOOD TEST – FBC, ESR, biochemistry, etc
- URINE TEST
- FOBT (faecal occult blood test)
- OGTT (oral glucose tolerance test)
- CT scan
- MRI (magnetic resonance imaging)
- BONE DENSITOMETRY (DEXA scan)
- HOLTER BLOOD PRESSURE MONITORING (24 hour monitoring)
- LACTOSE TOLERANCE TEST
- ECHOCARDIOGRAPHY – a heart ultrasound examination
BLOOD TEST – FBC, ESR, biochemistry, etc
- no booking required
- you need to fast for 8-10 hours before the test
- no smoking on the day of the test
- no heavy meals and no vigorous activities the evening before the test
- 10 hours before the test you can only drink water
- a nurse will take a blood sample by inserting a needle into a vein – usually on the inside of your elbow
On the opposite side of the referral (“Poukaz na laboratorní vyšetření”), there is a list of all PREVEDIG laboratories.
- screens for urinary tract infections, kidney disorders, diabetes, certain metabolic conditions
- results can be affected by dehydration, diet, medication, exercise,
- requires a „clean-catch“ urine sample
It is important to clean the genital area with soap and water before collecting the urine. Start to urinate, let some urine fall into the toilet, then collect some urine into the sterile container provided, and then let the rest go into the toilet.
FOBT (faecal occult blood test)
- an examination to check the stool sample for hidden blood
- certain foods can alter the test, therefore avoid raw fruits and vegetables, red meat and vitamin C.
From our nurse you will get a special container (a test-tube)
- Take and hold the tube in your hands with the green lid facing UP
- Unscrew the green lid which has the bud. Be careful, please, not to disperse any liquid.
- Dip the bud into three different places in your stool.
- Only a small amount of stool should stay on the tip of the bud.
- Put the bud into the tube and close it properly.
- Put the tube into a plastic bag with the referral and bring it either to our GP clinic or to a PREVEDIG laboratory.
OGTT (oral glucose tolerance test)
- a booking is required
- it takes about 2,5 hours
- performed only in some Prevedig laboratory
- measures your body’s response to sugar
- During the test, no drinks, no food, no cigarettes and no physical activities are allowed. Bring a book with you to read (optional) 🙂
Arrive at the laboratory at right time. Be sure that you fasted for at least 8 hours before the test. Get a ticket at the ticket machine, and wait to be served. After your blood sugar level has been measured, you will be given 300 ml of a sweet drink. Two hours later your blood will be taken again.
After the test you can immediately return to your everyday activities.
- a booking is not necessary
- bring your referral and your Czech insurance card if you have it
- no special preparation needed
We recommend you wear loose clothing without zips or metal buckles.
You may be asked to remove earrings and necklaces.
- bookings are required
- bring your referral form and your Czech insurance card if you have it.
It is a harmless, painless and non-invasive examination.
Ultrasound doesn’t use radiation, it uses high frequency sound waves. Sound waves are detected by the device which is placed and moved around the area of interest, creating an image which is displayed on the screen.
A thin layer of gel will be spread over the examined areas.
Ultrasound can be performed on most parts of the body and gives the doctor information about a variety of conditions, such as gallstones, kidney stones, varicose veins, muscle tears and pregnancy.
Scanning usually takes only 10-20 minutes.
ABDOMEN SONOGRAPHY of liver, gallbladder, pancreas, intestines
- No food or drink other than non-carbonated water or unsweetened tea at least 8 hours prior to the appointment
- For intestines or pancreas sonography you should be consuming non-bloating foods in the 48 hours prior to your appointment
- Take your medications as usual (use as required)
Note: a feeling of a moderately-full bladder is ideal for an intestinal sonography
ABDOMEN SONOGRAPHY – kidneys, bladder and pelvic organs
- Your bladder should feel full
- No urination in the 2 hours prior to the appointment
- Little by little, drink 0.5 – 0.75 litres of a liquid in the 2 hours prior to the appointment.
- bookings are necessary
- bring the referral form and your Czech insurance card with you
- usually no special preparation needed
A CT scan is a painless, non-invasive test to view the condition of tissues and vessels throughout your body.
A scanner that looks like a large doughnut attached to a table will rotate around your body to collect data. This data is then processed into special images by the computer.
CT scans are commonly used to diagnose diseases of the digestive and urinary systems, liver, spleen, pancreas, kidneys and brain.
MRI (magnetic resonance imaging)
- a booking is necessary
- no specific preparation needed
- does not use X-RAY; is considered safe and painless
- provides information concerning soft tissues including nerves, muscles, ligaments and cartilage
- uses a very strong magnetic field and radio waves to examine a specific area of your body
The MRI machine will make noises during the scan, therefore staff will provide you with earplugs. The radiologist will be in constant communication with you.
BONE DENSITOMETRY (DEXA scan)
- a booking is needed
- do not take calcium or iron supplements 24 hours prior to your appointment
- no special preparation is required
- a quick and painless procedure
- we recommend that you wear loose clothing without metal buckles
A DEXA scan uses a type of X-rays to measure the thickness of your bones. It helps confirm the diagnosis of osteoporosis, to estimate the severity of bone loss or to assess whether the patient is responding to treatment.
HOLTER BLOOD PRESSURE MONITORING (24 hour monitoring)
- a booking is necessary
- painless, non-invasive procedure
- very useful in assessing patients with high blood pressure
You will be given a digital machine that’s to be worn on the belt on your waist and the cuff will be on your arm for the full 24 hours.
The machine will take blood pressure readings at regular intervals during the 24 hours; usually every 15 minutes during the day and every 30-60 minutes at night.
What is very important – you MUST carry out all normal activities that you would normally do. (Only avoid swimming, baths and showers).
Keep a diary of what you did.
Just before the machine is about to take a reading, it will beep.
LACTOSE TOLERANCE TEST
This test is very similar to the OGTT but your blood will be taken five times – after fasting and then consecutively every 30 minutes.
Please expect to spend at least 2.5 hours in the waiting room.
During the test, no drinks, no food, no cigarettes and no physical activities are allowed. Bring a book with you to read (optional) 🙂
ECHOCARDIOGRAPHY – a heart ultrasound examination
- a booking is required
- no preparation before the examination needed
- you will be asked to remove any clothing and jewellery above your chest
The test assesses the structure and function of the heart muscles and valves.